Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New Reads, Old Reads

Coming off of The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett, I needed something a little lighter, so I just started another Marian Keyes novel, Angels. Pillars is one of those epic sagas, epic in lenght, epic in timeline. His language is beautiful, if not a bit lenghty and the reader just wants peace for Jack and Aliena who have such trouble gaining it. Follett touches on some of the unjust horrors of the times, as well as the boundaries set but creates characters strong enough to challenge them. At almost 1000 pages, it's not a quick read, but the political, sociological and emotional plotlines are all worth investing the time. I recommeded it to my architect friend because of the prominence of the building of the cathedral. But as I said, I needed something a little lighter this time, so just began Angels by Mrian Keyes. This is the third of her novels featuring the Walsh sisters, and this one centers on Maggie, the clean one, the predictable one, "the plain yogurt at room temperture" one. I love Keyes' easy conversational first person tone and too bad I'm not on vacation because it would be a good beach read. Maggie just arrived in LA, after leaving her husband, a big change from Ireland. Can't wait to see what happens. Will she hook up with a tan, hardbodied surfer? Will she find a place in the entertainment industry? I'll let ya know!

No comments: